Poems by the Way
Supplementary Materials: Criticism
- Anderson, Karl. "The Culmination of Morris's Interest in the North: 1871-1876," chap. 2, "Scandinavian Elements in the Works of William Morris." Diss., Harvard, 1970. [chapter on Morris's ballad translations, pp. 146-232]
- Boos, Florence. “'The Banners of the Spring to Be’: The Dialectical Pattern of Morris’s Later Poetry.” English Studies 81 (2000): 1-27.
- Boos, Florence. "Narrative Design in The Pilgrims of Hope." Socialism and the Literary Artistry of William Morris, edited Florence Boos and Carole Silver. Columbia, Missouri: University of Missouri Press, 1990.
- De Vega, Sean. Introduction to "Los Peregrino de la Esperanza: A Bilingual English-Spanish Edition of William Morris' The Pilgrims of Hope." M. A. Thesis, University of Iowa, 2006. [pdf]
- Ellison, R. C. "An Unpublished Poem by William Morris." English 15 (1964): 100-102.
- Elton, Oliver, review, Academy. February 1892, vol. 41, 197.
- Faulkner, Peter. "The Male as Lover, Fool and Hero: 'Goldilocks' and the Late Prose Romances." Victorian Poetry 34.3 (1996): 413-24.
- Garnett, Richard, review, Illustrated London News, January 9th, 1892. [pdf]
- J. A. George, "A Very Private Gesture: William Morris' A Book of Verse and its Public Sequel," Private and Public Voices in Victorian Poetry, eds. Sabine Coelsch-Foisner and Holger Klein. Tubinger: Stauffenburg Verlag, 2000, 103-110.
- Goodwin, Kenneth. "The Summation of a Poetic Career: Poems by the Way," Victorian Poetry 34.3 (1996): 397-410.
- Holzman, Michael, "Propaganda, Passion, and Literary Art in William Morris's The Pilgrims of Hope," Texas Studies in Literature and Language 24.4 (Winter 1982), 372-93.
- Latham, David, ed. and intro. Poems by the Way, Bristol: Thoemmes Press, 1994.[.pdf]
- Litzenberg, Karl. "Contributions of the Old Norse Language and Literature to the Style and Substance of the Writings of William Morris, 1856-76." Dissertation, University of Michigan, 1933. Chapter 3.2 Tthe Wooing of Hallbiorn the Strong 202-209 [pdf]
- May Morris, intro. to vol. 9, The Collected Works of William Morris, ed. May Morris. London: Longmans, 1911, 270-73.
- Salmon, Nicholas. "The Communist Poet-Laureate: William Morris's Chants for Socialists." Nicholas Salmon, JWMS 14.3 (Winter 2001): 31-40. [pdf]
- Salmon, Nicholas. "The Serialisation of The Pilgrims of Hope." Nicholas Salmon, JWMS 12.2 (Spring 1997): 14-25. [.pdf]
- Waters, Chris. "Morris's Chants and the Problem of Socialist Culture." Socialism and the Literary Artistry of William Morris, edited Florence Boos and Carole Silver. Columbia, Missouri: University of Missouri Press, 1990.